Wednesday, October 12, 2011

ATMs Security. How to Avoid Stealing Your Account Data or Money


ATM



ATM bank cash machines have been incorporated in our way of life. They offer a real convenience to those on the run, but at the same time offer an element of risk. Using a bank ATM machine safely requires awareness and a little planning. Just because a bank ATM machine is open and available 24-hours a day doesn't mean it is always safe to use it.


ATMs keep your personal identification number (PIN) and other information safe by using encryption software such as Triple DES (Data Encryption Standard). But there are lots of things that you can do to protect your information and your money at an ATM.


The more I get to know about ATM hackers, the less I want to use ATMs. Especially stan-alone ATMs.


Do you really want to know why? Just open some of the biggest websites for selling products (from example - eBay) and type in "ATM".
You will be amazed. Availability varies, but often you can find machines for sale that cost just a few hundred bucks.


Bad guys can buy these, get a computer programmer to rewrite the code and set them up just about anywhere to collect people's card information and PINs. Sometimes the machines actually dispense some cash, but often they're set up just to display an error message - after stealing your data.


Crooks can put skimmers over the card readers to suck up your data and record your PIN with miniature cameras. Some bad guys don't bother with the ATMs at all, instead putting the skimmer on the key card lock of the door that leads into an ATM.
But security procedures and video surveillance at banks usually mean these skimmers are detected fairly quickly. 






Here are some tips that can make your ATM transaction safer:


- Don't write down your PIN. If you must write it down, do not store it in your wallet or purse.


- Make your PIN a series of letters or numbers that you can easily remember, but that cannot easily be associated with you personally.


- Avoid using birth dates, initials, house numbers or your phone number.


- Store your ATM card in your purse or wallet, in an area where it won't get scratched or bent.


- Get your card out BEFORE you approach the ATM. You'll be more vulnerable to attack if you're standing in front of the ATM, fumbling through your wallet for your card.


- Stand directly in front of the ATM keypad when typing in your PIN. This prevents anyone waiting to use the machine from seeing your personal information.


- After your transaction, take your receipt, card and money away. Do not stand in front of the machine and count your money.


- If you are using a drive-up ATM, get your vehicle as close to the machine as possible to prevent anyone from coming up to your window. Also make sure that your doors are locked before you drive up to the machine.


- Do not leave your car running while using a walk-up ATM. Take your keys with you and lock the doors before your transaction.


- If someone or something makes you uncomfortable, cancel your transaction and leave the machine immediately. Follow up with your bank to make sure the transaction was cancelled and alert the bank to any suspicious people.


- Be suspicious of any stand-alone ATM. Yes, there are plenty of legitimate ones, but it can be tough for a layperson to tell which ones feed information to thieves rather than cash to you. You'll definitely want to avoid any ATM that isn't bolted to the side of a building or secured inside a facility. Real ATMs are heavy and have money safes, so they're not going to be easy to move. Also beware of stand-alone ATMs that advertise "no fees", since legitimate owners of stand-alone ATMs have to charge fees to make money.


- Avoid bank ATMs if the access door is broken. If you normally have to use your ATM card to unlock a door to get to the ATM and the lock is broken or the door is propped open, don't go in. Someone could have forced open the door to install a skimmer.


- Beware of "out of service" signs. If there are two ATMs and one has an "out of service" sign, it could be legit - or it could be trying to get you to use the other ATM, which has been compromised.


- Give the card slot a good yank. Put your hand on the slot where your card goes in and give it a push. A real one won't give way, while a skimmer often does. If the card slot looks strange at all, find another ATM.


- Report "malfunctions" immediately. If you get an error message instead of money, contact your bank right away. You're at much greater risk of fraud.


- Monitor your transaction activity. It doesn't matter how busy you are. You can still take a few minutes every week to log on to your accounts and look over your transactions. You'll want to report bogus transactions right away, since your liability for fraud is waived only if you spot the problems within a couple of months.




Yeah, pretty long list. But following the steps above, can protect yourself from stealing your bank account data or money.




For safety reasons, ATM users should seek out a machine that is located in a well-lighted public place. Federal law requires that only the last four digits of the cardholder's account number be printed on the transaction receipt so that when a receipt is left at the machine location, the account number is secure. However, the entry of your four-digit personal identification number (PIN) on the keypad should still be obscured from observation, which can be done by positioning your hand and body in such a way that the PIN entry cannot be recorded by store cameras or store employees. The cardholder's PIN is not recorded in the journal, but the account number is. If you protect your PIN, you protect your account.


Most bank ATM robberies occur at night between 7pm and midnight when the machine only produces 10% of the daily transactions. Between 7pm and 4am, the ATMs handle only 11% of the total daily transactions but suffer 60% of the crime.


Bank ATM robbers are usually males under 25 years of age and most work alone. ATM robbers usually position themselves nearby (50 feet) waiting for a victim to approach and withdraw cash. Half of the ATM robberies occur after the cash withdrawal. Many ATM robbery victims are women and were alone when robbed. Most claim that they never saw the robber coming. Most ATM robbers used a gun or claimed to have a concealed weapon when confronting the victim and demanding their cash.


Remember - always use safe places when taking cash from ATM. Taking money from bank ATM is the safest.
Avoid stand-alone ATMs. Avoid ATMs showing error messages.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing story.
    We have to be careful where and how do we use ATMs.

    Scammers are really creative these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently live in Thailand,and there are a lot of "stand-alone" ATM's scattered throughout the country. A few years ago there was a nationwide scam in which foreign ATM cards were temporarily unable to withdraw money from foreign bank accounts (lasting about 2 months). I was incredibly frustrated and even thought about asking a Thailand lawyer if there was anything I could do to get money from my bank account in the US, because I had no account in Thailand and was in need of money. I found out later that somehow a group was using the ATM security video to get the 4-digit pin codes of people when they used ATM machines. I suppose they were able to hack into the security camera of ATM's throughout Thailand and do this, but I'm not sure how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Specializing in ATM Processing & ATM Equipment. Learn about passive income from the ATM Business. Put More More Money in your Pocket.
    http://www.atmdepot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. At ATMdepot.com, we know and understand the various options that banks and retail merchants have when choosing between ATM companies. Originally, ATM ISOs felt that retailers would rather work with local independent sales agents.
    http://www.atmdepot.com/atm-company/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello friend, i want to share my testimony on how i got my BLANK ATM card which have change my life today. i was once living on the street where by things were so hard for me, even to pay off my bills was very difficult for me i have to park off my apartment and start sleeping on the street of Vegas. i tried all i could do to secure a job but all went in vain because i was from the black side of America. so i decided to browse through on my phone for jobs online where i got an advert on Hackers advertising a Blank ATM card which can be used to hack any ATM Machine all over the world, i never thought this could be real because most advert on the internet are based on fraud, so i decided to give this a try and look where it will lead me to if it can change my life for good. i contacted this hackers and they told me they are from Australia and also they have branch all over the world in which they use in developing there ATM CARDS, this is real and not a scam it have help me out. to cut the story short this men who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM Machine with a Blank ATM card.i applied for the Blank ATM card and it was delivered to me within 3 days and i did as i was told to and today my life have change from a street walker to my house, there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software before it will be send to you. my life have really change and i want to share this to the world, i know this is illegal but also a smart way of living Big because the government cannot help us so we have to help our self. if you also want this BLANK ATM CARD i want you to contact the Hackers email on romaniaw8@gmail.com and you life will never remain the same email romaniaw8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone. There is a new way of making
    cash, although it is illegal but also a smart
    and easy way of living big. I used to be a
    barrack boy until i became eager and decided
    to change my life one way or the other. I got
    opportuined to register for the militant
    amnesty through connection thereby taking
    me out of the country for training in the
    United States for a period of 2years. To cut
    the story short, during my training i made
    some white friends who were geeks and also
    experts at ATM repairs, programming and
    execution who taught me various tips and
    tricks about breaking into an ATM. with my
    knowledge gained from my white Greek
    friends, i have been able to counterfeit and
    programme a blank ATM card using various
    tools and software. I have ready-made
    programmed ATM cards or if you want to
    learn to yourself, you are also free to contact me. This is
    no scam. I am just 24, my family are in spain
    and i got a lot of money, i have a car, I'm living large
    and i travel all around the world. I do my
    things on a
    Wisely to avoid suspicions from people around me. Some of you will
    wonder why i am
    selling this out if truly i am already living
    large. It is because it is hard task doing it
    yourself, i won't lie to you, its not easy to hack
    ATM, talk more of to reprogrammed the card
    also. It takes days and sometimes weeks to complete one.
    Some of you will want the ready made card
    to avoid the stress of doing it yourself you can also contact me now.. E-mail me.
    wisdomtechatmhackers@gmail.com for more information,
    explanation and inquiries. NOTE: the ATM card has no
    pin, no registered account number. It has no
    limit for withdrawal and it is not traceable. There is also a technique added,that makes the cameras around unable to capture you during the process. You
    can collect money from any account anywhere in the world from any ATM machine, just by
    typing the persons account number.
    so contact me via my email address:
    wisdomtechatmhackers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friend, i want to share my testimony on how i got my BLANK ATM card which have change my life today. i was once living on the street where by things were so hard for me, even to pay off my bills was very difficult for me i have to park off my apartment and start sleeping on the street of Vegas. i tried all i could do to secure a job but all went in vain because i was from the black side of America. so i decided to browse through on my phone for jobs online where i got an advert on Hackers advertising a Blank ATM card which can be used to hack any ATM Machine all over the world, i never thought this could be real because most advert on the internet are based on fraud, so i decided to give this a try and look where it will lead me to if it can change my life for good. i contacted this hackers and they told me they are from Australia and also they have branch all over the world in which they use in developing there ATM CARDS, this is real and not a scam it have help me out. to cut the story short this men who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM Machine with a Blank ATM card.i applied for the Blank ATM card and it was delivered to me within 3 days and i did as i was told to and today my life have change from a street walker to my house, there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software before it will be send to you. my life have really change and i want to share this to the world, i know this is illegal but also a smart way of living Big because the government cannot help us so we have to help our self. if you also want this BLANK ATM CARD i want you to contact the Hackers email on romaniaw8@gmail.com and you life will never remain the same email romaniaw8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello friend, i want to share my testimony on how i got my BLANK ATM card which have change my life today. i was once living on the street where by things were so hard for me, even to pay off my bills was very difficult for me i have to park off my apartment and start sleeping on the street of Vegas. i tried all i could do to secure a job but all went in vain because i was from the black side of America. so i decided to browse through on my phone for jobs online where i got an advert on Hackers advertising a Blank ATM card which can be used to hack any ATM Machine all over the world, i never thought this could be real because most advert on the internet are based on fraud, so i decided to give this a try and look where it will lead me to if it can change my life for good. i contacted this hackers and they told me they are from Australia and also they have branch all over the world in which they use in developing there ATM CARDS, this is real and not a scam it have help me out. to cut the story short this men who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM Machine with a Blank ATM card.i applied for the Blank ATM card and it was delivered to me within 3 days and i did as i was told to and today my life have change from a street walker to my house, there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software before it will be send to you. my life have really change and i want to share this to the world, i know this is illegal but also a smart way of living Big because the government cannot help us so we have to help our self. if you also want this BLANK ATM CARD i want you to contact the Hackers email on romaniaw8@gmail.com and you life will never remain the same email romaniaw8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. HACK ATM AND BECOME RICH TODAY!!!!

    Hello everyone. There is a new way of making cash, although it is illegal but also a smart and easy way of living big. I used to be a barrack girl until i became eager and decided to change my life one way or the other. I got opportunity to register for the militant amnesty through connection thereby taking me out of the country for training in the United States for a period of 3years. To cut the story short, during my training i made some white friends who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM. with my knowledge gained from my white geek friends, i have been able to counterfeit and programme a blank ATM card using various tools and software's. I have ready-made programmed ATM cards or if you want to learn you are also free to contact me.. I am just 29, my family are in USA and i have cash, i have a car, i live in India and i travel all around the world. i do my things on a low-key to avoid suspicion. Some of you will wonder why i am selling this out if truly i am already living large. It is because it is hard task doing it yourself, i wont lie to you, its not easy to hack ATM talk more of to reprogramme the card alone. It takes days and sometimes weeks. Some of you will want the ready made card to avoid the stress of doing it yourself and i don't give the ready made card out for free because i spent days trying to make it available for you. e-mail me. janeashley333@gmail.com for request of the ATM .NOTE: the ATM card has no pin, no registered account number. It has no limit for withdrawal and it is untraceable. e-mail me. janeashley333@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello friend, i want to share my testimony on how i got my BLANK ATM card which have change my life today. i was once living on the street where by things were so hard for me, even to pay off my bills was very difficult for me i have to park off my apartment and start sleeping on the street of Vegas. i tried all i could do to secure a job but all went in vain because i was from the black side of America. so i decided to browse through on my phone for jobs online where i got an advert on Hackers advertising a Blank ATM card which can be used to hack any ATM Machine all over the world, i never thought this could be real because most advert on the internet are based on fraud, so i decided to give this a try and look where it will lead me to if it can change my life for good. i contacted this hackers and they told me they are from Australia and also they have branch all over the world in which they use in developing there ATM CARDS, this is real and not a scam it have help me out. to cut the story short this men who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM Machine with a Blank ATM card.i applied for the Blank ATM card and it was delivered to me within 3 days and i did as i was told to and today my life have change from a street walker to my house, there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software before it will be send to you. my life have really change and i want to share this to the world, i know this is illegal but also a smart way of living Big because the government cannot help us so we have to help our self. if you also want this BLANK ATM CARD i want you to contact the Hackers email on romaniaw8@gmail.com and you life will never remain the same email romaniaw8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. HACK ATM AND BECOME RICH TODAY!!!!

    Hello everyone. There is a new way of making cash, although it is illegal but also a smart and easy way of living big. I used to be a barrack girl until i became eager and decided to change my life one way or the other. I got opportunity to register for the militant amnesty through connection thereby taking me out of the country for training in the United States for a period of 3years. To cut the story short, during my training i made some white friends who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM. with my knowledge gained from my white geek friends, i have been able to counterfeit and programme a blank ATM card using various tools and software's. I have ready-made programmed ATM cards; I am just 29, my family are in USA and i have cash, i have a car, i live in malaysia and i travel all around the world. i do my things on a low-key to avoid suspicion. Some of you will wonder why i am selling this out if truly i am already living large. It is because it is hard task doing it yourself, i wont lie to you, its not easy to hack ATM talk more of to reprogramme the card alone and be able to get $40,000 each day. It takes days and sometimes weeks. Some of you will want the ready made card to avoid the stress of doing it yourself and i don't give the ready made card out for free because i spent days trying to make it available for you. e-mail me. janeashley333@gmail.com for request of the ATM NOTE: the ATM card has no pin, no registered account number. It has no limit for withdrawal and it is untraceable. janeashley333@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete